Apple Cider Vinegar—Nature’s Wonder Drug?
Apple Cider Vinegar is a popular home remedy. But did you know that its health benefits date back to Egyptian Urns in 3000 B.C.? The Babylonians as well as Julius Caesar’s army used it to stay healthy and fight off disease. The Greeks and Romans kept vinegar vessels for healing and flavoring. It was used in biblical times as an antiseptic and a healing agent. In Paris in the Middle Ages it was sold from barrels by street vendors as a body deodorant, healing tonic, and delicious drink to keep the body healthy and ageless.
Even Christopher Columbus and crew on their voyage to discover America in 1492 had vinegar barrels for prevention of scurvy as did the U.S. Civil War soldiers. It helped disinfect and heal their wounds. For centuries in Japan, the samurai warriors drank it for strength and power.
Over thousands of years we have learned that ACV has multi-purposes and a multitude of health benefits. There is actually a great deal of science behind just how and why ACV seems to be a “cure-all” for so many things. Yes, there is also hype and confusion around what works and what doesn’t work, but all one has to do is look just a little below the surface to uncover the amazing attributes of apples allowed to slowly ferment.
Organic ACV is unpasteurized and contains what is known as “the mother” of vinegar, which makes the vinegar appear somewhat cloudy. Also known as Mycoderma aceti, mother of vinegar is created when acetic acid bacteria and a type of cellulose develop during the fermentation process. Mother of vinegar is harmless, contains health-promoting characteristics such as living nutrients and friendly bacteria, and lets you know that the vinegar is unpasteurized. Most vinegar manufacturers nowadays pasteurize the vinegar before it hits the shelves, to get rid of the mother of vinegar, and in turn, a lot of the nutrients that the vinegar offers.
When choosing an ACV, make sure to select one that is raw, organic and unpasteurized, as the pasteurization process can destroy many of the health benefits. Organic, unpasteurized ACV has a cobweb-looking solid floating inside; as stated earlier, known as mother of vinegar, and is a natural cellulose produced by the vinegar bacteria.
Beneficial Properties – Some of the beneficial properties contained within mother of vinegar include:
Potassium: essential for healthy metabolism, as well as water and chemical balance in the body
Iron: important for blood health
Magnesium: vital to heart health
Enzymes: boost chemical reactions in the body
Malic acid: protects vinegar from viruses, bacteria and fungus
Acetic acid: slows the digestion of starch and inhibits bacterial growth
Calcium: builds strong bones and teeth
Pectin: helps regulate blood pressure and cholesterol
Ash: maintains a healthy alkaline state in the body
Other Minerals, Trace Elements and Vitamins:
- Pro-vitamin beta-carotene
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B1
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin P
More Powerhouse Properties
Alkalinity: A big reason why ACV is so effective for so many conditions is because it makes the body alkaline, as opposed to acidic. The more acidic your body is, the better the environment for sickness and disease to take hold. Even though ACV is acidic, it has an alkalinizing impact on the body during digestion, unlike other vinegars.
The 3 A’s: ACV contains potent antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties, which help to make it so effective for so many conditions.
Detoxifier: Toxins often accumulate in our bodies, and the malic acid in ACV helps to eliminate these dangerous compounds. By doing so, ACV supports healthy kidney, bladder and liver function.
While there are likely over a hundred different health issues that have responded positively with ACV, here are just a sampling:
- Weight loss and fat breakdown
- Sore throat
- Strengthen bones
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Blood pressure
- Leg cramps
- Heart burn
- Auto immune illnesses
- Warts, Callouses, and Corns
Since there are so many benefits to consuming ACV daily, we thought we would give you some ideas on how to introduce it into your diet.
- Drizzle a teaspoon on top of your salad or mix it with your favorite salad dressing.
- Add apple cider vinegar to mayonnaise-based or other vinaigrette-based salads like coleslaw.
- Use as a marinade for vegetables. A vinegar marinade works well mixed with equal parts of olive oil.
- Try a delicious mixture of 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar poured over grilled or roasted vegetables. This also works well poured over sautéed vegetables.
- If you love popcorn and want a low calorie substitute for butter, fill a spray bottle with apple cider vinegar and finely spray the popcorn and top with a little sea salt or pepper.
- You can easily add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to any smoothie, but this one works well! Start by putting 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar into the blender, add a whole banana, 5 chopped strawberries, one tablespoon of honey, 1/2 cup of apple or orange juice, and a handful of leafy greens and blend until smooth.
- Start your morning with a 6 or 8-ounce glass of water mixed with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and little honey or lemon. You can also add the vinegar to any juice.
- Rinse your fruits and vegetables with vinegar. This adds some vinegar to your diet and also removes harmful bacteria and pesticides.
- Mix with ginger and drink to soothe an upset stomach.
- Add 1 Tbs. to your workout water to fight lactic acid buildup.
- DIY liver tonic—mix ACV with pure, sparkling water.
Why haven’t more people been using this incredible supplement? Although it isn’t expensive, and it is easy to find, the truth is, we seem to go for the exotic, expensive supplements when what will help us most is already in our gardens and refrigerators. We need ACV and it is a natural, wholefood supplement! I think I am going into the kitchen now to open up a new, unused bottle and make a warm ACV, distilled water and lemon drink and let’s see how I sleep tonight. With all of the amazing health benefits, we would all be foolish not to go back to this tried and true miracle. What are some ways that can introduce ACV into your daily diet?
Thanks to the Courtesy of :