Ketogenic diet or keto diet is a diet that is done by applying low-carbohydrate and high-fat diet. Keto diet increasingly popular because it was mentioned quickly lose weight. But keto diet is also quite controversial, because if not done properly, may be dangerous to health.
Positive effects that can be obtained by applying keto diet is the decrease in body mass. But the ketogenic diet also raises some concerns. The negative effect of keto diet is the increasingly heavy kidney work due to high protein foods. In long-term circumstances, this diet increases the risk of dyslipidemia or cholesterol and decreases bone density.
Keto diet proved effective in the short to medium term as a tool to fight obesity. The principle of keto diet is that every cell in the body can use ketones (fat) as fuel. The target of keto diet is to restrict carbohydrates so that the body is able to switch to using fat as the main fuel. Consumption of foods high in fat and avoid carbohydrates will put the body in a metabolism of ketones called ketosis. Meanwhile, ketones that are not used by the body will be removed by the kidneys through the urine. The effects of the body residing in the ketosis phase are reduced fat levels in the body and weight loss.
To perform keto diet, caloric consumption should consist of 80% healthy fats and 20% of protein. Consumption of carbohydrates should also be limited to less than 50 grams per day. A good ratio for dietary keto is 4: 1, ie 4 for healthy fats and protein, versus 1 for carbohydrates.
During doing keto diet, make sure the food consumed will not disrupt the ketosis phase in the body. excess carbohydrate intake can disrupt the body’s ketosis phase and interfere with the success of keto diet.
Foods recommended for keto diet
– Meat: Beef and veal, chicken, goat, lamb, turkey, pork
– Fish: Salmon, trout, catfish, sardines, tuna, haddock
– Eggs: Eggs are high in omega 3
– Fruits: Strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, avocado
– Vegetables: Broccoli, asparagus, cabbage, cucumber and vegetables that do not contain carbohydrates
– Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame, flaxseeds, chia seeds.
– Milk products: Milk, unprocessed cheese, greek yogurt, sour cream, thick cream.
– Fats and Oils: Coconut oil or VCO, peanut butter, avocado oil, butter, sesame oil, olive oil and almond oil.
– Spices: Salt, pepper, and other healthy cooking spices
To ensure that keto diet is suitable or not, consult a doctor and do keto diet under the supervision of a doctor.Thanks to the Courtesy of :