On any given day, there are two or three bags of frozen chicken breasts in my freezer. I love chicken thighs and chicken wings but when it comes to getting food on the table day in and day out, nothing beats chicken breast for flavor and convenience. If you too are always looking for your new favorite chicken breast recipe, look no further than this Keto creamy mushroom chicken. This recipe recalls classic comfort food dishes that use heavy ingredients like cream of mushroom soup, but with an updated ingredient list. The recipe calls for the chicken to be served over cauliflower rice, but zucchini noodles or even mashed cauliflower would also be welcome accompaniments to this savory main dish.
From Sodium and Preservatives to Low-Carb Dinner Masterpiece
If you grew up in a house like mine, “creamy mushroom” was synonymous with cream of mushroom soup. With sodium, preservatives, and nothing resembling an actually mushroom, it’s no surprise that cream of mushroom soup put me off of anything mushroom related for a long time. I’d be surprised if a lot of people who think they don’t like mushrooms have never had a fresh well-prepared mushroom in their lives.
So how does our recipe take the familiar flavors of cream and mushrooms to a new level? We start by getting rid of the additives by only using pure ingredients and making the sauce at home. Then we replace the cream with coconut cream, because we don’t need dairy to get that luxurious creamy texture everyone loves. Lastly, we limit the number of ingredients to allow the mushroom flavor to shine without covering it up with cream, butter, or too much salt.
Our Top Tips for Buying Mushrooms
- Look for mushrooms that are firm and evenly colored.
- If you are buying white mushrooms or cremini mushrooms, look for those with tightly closed caps.
- Moisture is the number one reason that mushrooms go bad before you can use them, so if you see any wet spots on your mushrooms, put them back.
More Keto Chicken Recipes to Solve All of Your Weekday Meal Woes
Don’t fall into a dinner rut making the same three meals over and over again! Chicken is a wonderfully versatile low-carb protein that can star in dishes from all over the world. Check out some of our favorite Keto-friendly ways to eat chicken below.
This will be a new easy, go-to dinner for the family.
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) of olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts (400 g), sliced
- 18 white button mushrooms (180 g), sliced
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) of warm chicken broth
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) of coconut cream (spooned from the top of a chilled tin of full-fat coconut milk)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 portions cooked cauliflower rice, to serve
- chopped parsley, to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan or wok and add the sliced chicken. Cook until partially golden, then add the mushrooms, cooking until caramelized and stirring regularly.
- Pour in the stock and reduce the heat to moderate, cooking until the broth has almost completely cooked out. Add the coconut cream and stir well to combine. Remove the pan from heat once the coconut cream has thickened and coated the chicken and mushrooms.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately over cooked cauliflower rice. Garnish with chopped parsley.
NOTE: Nutritional estimate does not include cauliflower rice.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 2 g
- Calories: 577
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 39 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 50 g